Monday, February 14, 2011

2/14/2011 Liberal Berkeley California made me obese

Hello Readers

When I was a child my parents would take my brothers and I for vacation at the City of Berkeley's Camp Toulumne.

It was a great fun place to camp with the family.  Tent cabins with wooden floors and half walls with tent tops.

During the days swimming in the swimming pond and diving off of the large Beaverhead Rock.  The camp councilors would take kids on nature hikes to the Indian tee-pee down the South Fork of the Toulumne River toward the town of Hardin Flats.  Craft lessons were held in an area underneath the mess hall overlooking the swimming pond.

In the evening talent shows at the outdoor stage and campfires.

It was in the mess hall is what changed my life forever.  Meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner would be served family style at long tables with a few other families.   The food was actually good.

It was the CLEAN PLATE AWARD program that they had that changed my life.  These little circles of yellow construction paper would be given out as merit badges for each meal you left a clean plate.  You would take your used plate up to the dishwasher lady and then they would give you a clean plate award.  The activities director councilor would make an announcement of your achievement.

As a little child that was such a cool thing to collect these awards.

Now as an adult, I think back to that damn award and now, I cannot leave excess food on the plate or to ask for a to go container.   If I could change the portion size from the restaurant and put food into a container before chowing down on the meal.  I could save money and have future meals too.

I recognize where my obesity began and it was with those damned CLEAN PLATE AWARDS.

I am going to combat this and create a HALF PLATE AWARD in my notes app on my iPhone.  Each time I ask for a container or leave some on the plate at the end of the meal, I will note down the achievement.

Why not join me in starting your own HALF PLATE AWARD program.  Share with me your success

No comments:

Post a Comment